Thursday, June 03, 2004

Thought from devotions

(This is what I planned to blog about until I read Ameliou's blog. Two for the price of one today.) I was reading from I Peter 4 today and was really struck by the verses I read. I am pasting the text I read below. I thought to myself that oftentimes people ask God what His will is for their lives and what they should do. Oftentimes we are expecting a very specific answer for the given situation, but I am finding that God's answers are not always that specific. Instead of preparing us for a single event, He will give us a principle that we can apply to a lifetime of events. Such is the case with the passage of Scripture I read today. I am not claiming these verses as "the" thing we should follow in our lives. However, as I read them they do provide specific guidelines for my life that by God's grace I desire to follow.

I Peter 4:7-11 (NIV) The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. (emphasis added)

No comments: